You just can’t beat a scone with raspberry jam and clotted cream. This is my Mum’s recipe, you can find a recipe for the raspberry jam here. I dare say you can probably make your own clotted cream too if you’re really keen, but I’m afraid I haven’t ventured into anything that advanced… yet.
Makes 8 large or 16 small
250g / 10oz plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
50g / 2oz unsalted butter
2 tbsp caster sugar, plus a little for dusting
100ml milk, plus a little for glazing
1. Preheat oven to 220°C / 428°F / Gas 7.
2. Put flour and baking powder in a bowl.
3. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub in.
4. Stir in the sugar.
5. Mix in the milk until the mixture comes together to form a nice dough.
6. Knead a little then roughly pat down until about an inch high all over.
7. Cut out scones, reforming the dough until it is all used up.
8. Place scones on a greased tin, glaze with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
9. Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
10. Smother with clotted cream and jam and scoff with a nice cup of tea.