I have to thank my cousin Laura and her husband for the inspiration for these. They made them for us on a recent family get together and they’re just the best pancakes ever.
The blueberries add a sweetness and juiciness which takes them to another level. Add a couple of rashers of crispy bacon and a generous drizzle of maple syrup for breakfast nirvana. Very popular with two year olds!
Makes 12 or so
150g / 6oz plain flour
40g / 1.5 oz vanilla sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 pint buttermilk
50g / 2oz melted butter
a small punnet of blueberries
1. Mix the wet and the dry ingredients in separate bowls.
2. Pour half of the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well. Then stir the remaining dry ingredients in.
3. Heat a pan to medium heat and dollop on a couple of spoonfuls of mixture.
4. Add three or four blueberries to the top of each pancake.
5. Turn when browned and bubbles appear, which should take around 90 seconds. In another 90 seconds or so they will be perfectly cooked.
6. Serve with butter, maple syrup and crispy rashers of bacon (plus sausages and a poached egg according to Him Indoors.)